InTune

Device Limit Reached – Intune Company Portal App

Device limit reached – You have added the maximum number of devices allowed by your company support. Plesae remove a device from the Azure portal or get help from your company support.

There’s a limit to the amount of devices you can register for the Intune Company Portal app.

To fix this, yes you’ll need to remove a device attached to your account. This is not done via Outlook for Web, where you can remove devices – that’s purely for Outlook. It’s also not done via https://myaccount.microsoft.com/device-list as it’s not removing it from Azure.

As per Microsoft Documentation , there’s Intune device limits, and Azure device limits. Intune / EndPoint Manager has a maximum of 15 devices, where Azure has a default of 20, but can be changed to a few different values, including ‘unlimited’.

Intune / Endpoint Manager Device Limits
Azure Device Limits

To remove devices from a user, and admin should use Azure Active Directory and go to Users > Find the user > then under Manage, choose ‘Devices’. Any old device (check by the activity date) can be selected and deleted.

After removing enough devices here, you should be able to register the new device via the Intune Company Portal app again – and in my testing, this was next to instant.

Intune – Couldn’t Enroll your Device

We started having issues with new enrolments to Intune. Nothing had changed that we were aware of, but registering a new device brought up the error “Couldn’t enroll your device. You can try again or send the error information to your IT admin in an email.” iOS or Android, didn’t matter:

screenshot_20160922-180510Intune Enrollment Error

After testing multiple accounts and multiple devices, I logged a call with Office 365 support, and eventually we worked out that for my account, I didn’t have a license applied. Intune sits under our Enterprise Mobility Suite package:

licenseIntune License is “Off”?

After checking other users, I found that everyone was in this ‘Off’ state. Weird, because we hadn’t done this, and Intune licensing was being managed by a group via Azure AD as per these instructions. That configuration was still in place too when I checked. I decided to do the logical thing and ‘turn it off and back on again’ – so I disabled the assignment on that page, then re-enabled the same group with the Intune license.

After then going back to the Office 365 User search, I found that all the users had now changed to ‘on’ again. The only recent event in the last few weeks was a renewal of our licenses, so I wonder if something happened in the back end as a part of that?

Anyway, if you see the ‘Couldn’t enroll your device’ message when using the Intune Company Portal app, make sure the user has their Intune license enabled!

Fix Wrong Domain for Users Azure Active Directory

I ran into a problem where a user couldn’t sign into Intune, which uses Azure Active Directory to authenticate users.

After checking the user in question on the Azure Active Directory portal, I noticed the domain was wrong:

aad

The user was being synced from On Premise Active Directory, so I had a look via Users and Computers to see what was going on. The user’s User Principal Name domain field was set differently to other users – instead of the proper mydomain.com, it was set to mydomain.local – another valid internal domain to Active Directory, but not one that Azure Active Directory knew about:

aad2

The unknown domain caused Azure Active Directory to disregard it, and instead use it’s default tennancy domain of wrong.onmicrosoft.com. I thought just changing the dropdown menu to mydomain.com instead of mydomain.local would fix it, but a forced Azure Active Directory Sync sync reported the change was successfully synced, but didn’t actually change the value.

I’m going to guess this is by design, as you don’t usually want logins changing. There is an easy way to change the via PowerShell instead.

Once you’ve run the standard ‘Connect-MsolLService‘ cmdlet, you can use ‘Set-MsolUserPrincipalName‘ to change the user. The full command is:

Set-MSolUserPrincipalName -userprincipalname “existinguser@mydomain.local” -NewUserPrincipalName “existinguser@mydomain.com”

Pretty simple, and the change is immediate.

I then realised there may be other users with the same problem, so dediced to use the Active Directory PowerShell Module with this command:

get-aduser -filter * | where {$_.userprincipalname -like “*local*” -and $_.enabled -eq “true”} | select name

This showed all the users who had ‘local’ in their UPN. As there were only a few, I changed them all one by one with the first command above.

The same check can be run against Azure Active Directory users with this command:

get-msoluser -all | where userprincipalname -like “*local*”

Easy!