Adobe

“This page wants to run the following add-on…” won’t go away in Internet Explorer

In the last few weeks, I found that a lot of users were complaining about IE11 on Windows 10, and the prompt “This page wants to run the following add-on” with the add-on name, and the allow button:

This webpage wants to run the following add-on ‘Adobe Flash Player’ from Microsoft Windows Third Party Application Compon…

However, clicking the ‘Allow’ button, or using the drop down arrow to choose ‘Allow for all sites’ did nothing, and the prompt would show again and again.

I ended up working out this was due to the Add-On List GPO to list IE add-ons that was being used to manage the add-ons I wanted disabled or enabled https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/ie11-deploy-guide/enable-and-disable-add-ons-using-administrative-templates-and-group-policy

The policy explicitly states “The ‘Deny all add-ons unless specifically allowed in the Add-on List’ policy setting will still determine whether add-ons not in this list are assumed to be denied.”

However, since a recent update (either Windows 10 1803, or a recent security patch  – unsure which!), anything not listed in the Add-On List was being blocked. 

Adding an update to the list and allowing it with the ‘1’ value fixes the issue for that particular add-in, but it shouldn’t be working this way.

I even tried disabling the Group Policy setting ‘Deny all add-ons unless specifically allowed in the Add-on List’ but that made no difference. That policy also states: ‘If you disable or do not configure this policy setting, users may use Add-on Manager to allow or deny any add-ons that are not included in the ‘Add-on List’ policy setting.’

Something wacky’s going on – if I find out more I’ll update this post, but if you do use the ‘Add-On List’ GPO for Internet Explorer, be aware of this potential issue. You may need to list all your add-ins into the policy to avoid this.

I’ve also updated all my ADMX files for Win10 1803.

Adobe Reader Has Stopped Working

Hi,

This issue has just come up, and seems to be affecting many people around the world. Adobe Reader X and XI seem to be crashing at startup, after a wait of 10 seconds or so. You’ll see the great ‘Adobe Reader has stopped working’ crash message:

adobestoppedworking

Some quick research showed that others were also experiencing this. I found a few people on Twitter complaining about similar things. @CurtinOasis said “Currently issues with adobe reader crashing on lab computers. May prevent accessing PDF docs. Investigating as a high priority! Sorry guys!” and @VillSumith “Adobe Acrobat Reader, crashing due to faulty network proxy. What’s the connection? Anyone? #adobe #techsupport #windows

One of the fixes was to either update Adobe, or reinstall – both seemed to work, but a rather poor solution for a multitude of installs.

I found this post on the Adobe Community forums: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1283545?tstart=0 which mentioned this same issue. Ashen.NZ found that Adobe Reader was doing a request to the file http://acroipm.adobe.com/10/rdr/ENU/win/nooem/none/message.zip and blocking that URL actually fixed the issue. I confirmed this myself, checking that file came up in the network traffic logs, and then blocked the whole subdomain http://acroipm.adobe.com – and it worked.

This is by no means a proper fix, but until Adobe work out what’s going on, this will at least keep you going. I’ll update this post if I come across any further information.

Update: The Adobe forums thread above has been updated with an official comment (as pointed out by @Jacobestrin) –

 

Hi Everyone,

 This was a temporary glitch with our servers that has now been resolved. Please re-launch Acrobat/ Reader and let us know if you still face this issue.

 Thanks for your patience.

 Regards,

Deepak

 

I’ve disabled the workaround and everything seems ok. Just a slight slipup from Adobe if it was a ‘glitch’ :)